A Nep-Enut from Yoshi's Island DS
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
Nep-Enuts are water-based, blue counterparts to Gargantua Blarggs that hide underwater, and they are also a variant of Blargg. Nep-Enuts exclusively appear in the Yoshi franchise, and make their first appearance in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Nep-Enuts are usually seen with their mouth wide open.
The name "Nep-Enut" is an anagram of "Neptune", the Roman god of the sea.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and its remake Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Nep-Enuts remain submerged until Yoshi approaches it. It then rises, blocking Yoshi's path. Yoshi must throw a egg for it to submerge in the water (and only its eyebrows remain visible). If Yoshi jumps over a Nep-Enut, it chases after him. Nep-Enuts are featured in the title of a World 3 level, Nep-Enut's Domain.
A particular Nep-Enut in the level What's Gusty Taste Like? lives in a secret underground area, and is located entirely underneath terrain and Semisolid Platforms, making it untouchable when it is not in its risen form. The Nintendo Player's Guide specifies this one as a Submarine Nep-Enut, although the two have the same behavior as one another.
Both versions feature a Nep-Enut on the box art, except for the Japanese releases. The artwork shows Yoshi and Baby Mario looking at a Nep-Enut, which has its mouth wide open. The Nep-Enut appears to have emerged from the water, as suggested by the water splashes around its body.
Yoshi's Island DS
Nep-Enuts return in Yoshi's Island DS, retaining their behavior from the previous game. Nep-Enuts appear only in one level, Up the Creek. A new variant is also introduced: Egg-enuts, which dangles a fake egg and begins to flail if a Yoshi gets too close.
Yoshi's New Island
Nep-Enuts return in Yoshi's New Island, in which three appear in a level bearing their name, Rise of the Nasty Nep-Enuts. Here, two Nep-Enuts appear in the first area while the third and final one appears in the last area. Nep-Enuts chase after Yoshi like before, and it now takes three eggs instead of one for a Nep-Enut to temporarily retract into the water.
Yoshi's Woolly World / Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
In Yoshi's Woolly World and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, Nep-Enuts appear only in the course, Frozen Solid and Chilled. By tossing three yarn balls into them, Yoshi is able to stun the Nep-Enuts for a few moments. They spit out Shy Guys at Yoshi. Nep-Enuts can be instantly frozen with an ice watermelon. They can be climbed on during their frozen state, but release themselves from the ice after a short while. However, Nep-Enuts can be defeated permanently if Yoshi pounds them while they are frozen by the effects of an ice watermelon using the "All-you-can-eat ice watermelons!" Power Badge.
Yoshi's Crafted World
In Yoshi's Crafted World, Nep-Enuts appear only in the level Pirate Pier. They are made of bubbled slime and have the same behavior as usual. If hit with an egg, they will briefly retreat spinning below the water. A Nep-Enut is also featured as a costume.
At least one Nep-Enut was originally going to appear in Paper Mario, but it was removed at some point during development.
List of names
|Giant Nep-Enut||Yoshi's New Island (Rise of the Nasty Nep-Enuts Message Block)|
Yoshi's Woolly World Scrapbook Theater (British English)
|Nep-Enut||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide (page 127)|
Yoshi's Woolly World Scrapbook Theater (American English)
|Nep-enut||Yoshi's Island DS Player's Guide (page 59)|
|Super Big Nep-Enut|
|Super Big Nep-enut||Yoshi's Island DS Prima guide (pages 138 and 234)|
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 池に住む怪物。タマゴを当てて水の中に追い返そう。 (A monster living in a pond. Hit it with an egg to drive it back into the water.)
- Nintendo Player's Guide (page 128)
- Nep-Enut: Rearing up from the inky depths, this bottom-feeder turns pale as a ghost if you bop him with an egg.
- Submarine Nep-Enut: Too much time reading underground comics has made this beast a regular pussy-cat. Just hit him with one egg.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 水の中に住む怪物。タマゴを当てて、水の中に追い返そう。 (A monster that lives in the water. Hit it with an egg and drive it back into the water.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: 水辺に潜み、ヨッシーが近づくと水辺から浮上してきて襲ってくる。倒せないが、タマゴを3回当てるとひるませることができる。そのすきに逃げよう。(It lurks near the water, and when Yoshi approaches it, it comes up from the water and attacks. You cannot defeat it, but if you hit it with an egg three times, it will go down. Run away while you have the chance.)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island level icon for Nep-Enut's Domain
Names in other languages
Biggu Unbaba Ao
ビッグウンババ(青) / ビッグウンババ（あお）
Biggu Unbaba (ao)
|Big Blargg Blue|
Big Blargg (blue)
Dà Wūbābā (lán)
|Big Blargg (blue)|
|French (American)||Maxi Blop Aqua|
|German||Riesen-Wasser-Blargg||Giant Water Blargg|
Enorme Pos'Adone (since Yoshi's Woolly World)
|Portmanteau of Poseidone (Poseidon) and Adone (Adonis)|
|Big Blargg (blue)|
|Portuguese||Nep-Onut Colossal||Colossal Nep-Enut|
|Spanish||Nep-Onut Gigantón||Giant Nep-Enut|
- ^ "Giant Nep-Enuts won't give up after just one hit. Keep tossing eggs until they back down!" - Rise of the Nasty Nep-Enuts Message Block, Yoshi's New Island
- ^ a b 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 6.
- ^ a b 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 19.
- ^ a b 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 23.
- ^ Omoide Theatre, Yoshi Wool World (Japanese)